5 Tech Stories Not to Miss ! (Apr 2019)
1 Google on defensive over “hidden” microphone
Google was forced to issue an explanation over an “error” that hid a microphone in the company’s Nest Guard home security devices from consumers.
The undisclosed mic was discovered after an update enabled voice-controlled features in Assistant for the security device, but the existence of listening tech appeared nowhere in the product’s specifications, sparking outcry from privacy-conscious consumers.
2 Facebook branded “digital gangster” in fake news probe
Facebook was labelled a “digital gangster” in a UK parliamentary report following an investigation into disinformation campaigns on the social network.
The report called for the company to face urgent statutory regulations in the wake of its failure to clamp down on fake news and accused Facebook of intentionally obstructing the investigation.
3 Microsoft accuses Russian network of mass EU attacks
Microsoft said it spotted a widespread, coordinated hacking campaign that proved the Fancy Bear/APT28 group from Russia was involved in an “ongoing effort to target democratic organizations”.
According to Microsoft, it spotted spear-phishing attacks seeking to gain employee credentials and deliver malware, with104 targets across Europe, including political campaigns, think tanks and non-profit groups.
4 UK backtracks on Huawei network ban
UK security officials said they could mitigate the risks of Huawei equipment in UK telecom networks, marking a change in fortunes for the company.
Huawei has been under scrutiny amid speculation that the firm could spy for the Chinese government.
The US has been pressuring its allies to stop buying from the world’s largest telecoms equipment maker.
5 Apple planning to combine apps across platforms
Apple is rumoured to be pushing ahead with plans to allow iPad apps to run on Macs by the end of the year.
Project Marzipan will increase the number of apps available across its devices. Apple is aiming to roll out tools for developers that will let them merge iPhone, iPad and Mac apps by 2021.
- Moto G7 Review : Pros, Cons, Specifications…..
- Apple MacBook Air : an iconic laptop ???
- Picking the perfect scanner : features to look for in a scanner
- Microsoft Surface Pro 6 Review
- Six questions to ask before you buy Security suites !
- Dropbox Business Advanced Review: Pros, Security….
- Best of Laptops at CES 2019: CES Showcase
- Intel Core i9 (9900K) : A brilliant performer with great over clocking potential
- Adobe Photoshop Elements 2019 : what’s new?
- Fitbit Charge 3 – Great Design, Fitness Device Review
- Best Gadgets & Technology of CES 2019
- Apple iPhone XR Detailed Review and Verdict
- The Google HomeHub – is something of a revelation